Some people are like the Energizer bunny; they have a boundless amount of energy and they keep on going and going. Other less lucky people have the energy of an old and unreliable generator: hard to start and doesn’t last for long. This post is for the latter.
There are several possible reasons behind having a lack of energy; the most common ones are anemia, hypothyroidism, and sleep apnea. If your test results ruled out these three suspects you might be suffering from adrenal fatigue. Unfortunately this condition is not medically proven, so not many healthcare providers are familiar with it.
What is Adrenal Fatigue?
When we are under a lot of stress our body releases cortisol and adrenaline, the fight-or-flight hormones. While it’s normal to experience stress from time to time, a prolonged period of stress can damage the body. Adrenal fatigue happens when the adrenal glands are no longer able to provide the body with these two hormones, not even the minimum required for basic daily functioning.
What you shouldn’t do when you have Adrenal Fatigue
1. Caffeine - Most people tend to reach for coffee whenever they need a burst of energy, but it is the last thing one should do when it comes to adrenal fatigue. It’s like forcing a person who can’t get out of bed to run a marathon.
2. Extreme exercise – A big mistake is to force the body to work harder, thinking that this will create the energy it is lacking. Actually this will cause more damage than benefit. It will increase the stress level of the body, the stress that already led your body to feeling lethargic, and will only worsen your symptoms.
3. Extreme diet – Detox is the last thing that your body needs when you suffer from adrenal fatigue. Detox has its own merits when it’s done the right way at the right time. But when your body is in distress a detox will add stress instead of curing it.
What you should do when you have Adrenal Fatigue
1. Avoid Caffeine.
2. Do meditation, yoga(not kundalini), and/or go for nice and relaxing walks outside.
3. Eat well and make sure that your body gets plenty of good nutrients to help it heal.
4. Sleep well.
Herbs and Supplements that can help Adrenal Fatigue
- Chamomile, lavender, and Ashwagandha promote relaxation and a good night sleep.
- Vitamin B Complex – soothes the nervous system and gives the body the energy needed. Vitamin B12 gives energy while vitamin B6 soothes the nervous system and promotes sleep.
- Nutritional yeast and bee pollen are good sources of the vitamin B family.
- Epsom salts bath – relaxes the muscles.
Supplements that I like
For energy during the day: Rainbow Light – Complete B-Complex
For a good night sleep: Integrative Therapeutics – Cortisol Manager